A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Spousal/child maintenece

  • Rumplestiltsk1n
  • Rumplestiltsk1n's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Jul 12 #345931 by Rumplestiltsk1n
Topic started by Rumplestiltsk1n
I am in receipt of income support and carers allowance for my son who i have on a shared basis with my ex. I also receive housing benefit and council tax credit. I am due to have a first divorce appointment next month. I have applied for a pension sharing order, spousal maintenence and Maintenence pending suit from my ex due to her income being far greater than mine. My question is that if she is ordered to pay me periodical payments and child maintenece, how would these payments affect the benefits that i receive?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Jul 12 #346043 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It depends on the benefit.

There are some benefits that are '' means tested '' and are likely to be reduced or withdrawn if the recipient has capital or income in excess of the prescribed figures.

Others, on the other hand, are not.

Income support/jobseekers allowance/ housing and council tax benefit are means tested.

Benefits that are not automatically means tested are child benefit and tax credit, but I''d advise a short consultation with a CAB to confirm this. It''s many years since I did CAB and the rules may have changed.


  • Rumplestiltsk1n
  • Rumplestiltsk1n's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Jul 12 #346048 by Rumplestiltsk1n
Reply from Rumplestiltsk1n
thanks LMM
i do not receive tax credits but i receive housing benefit, council tax credit, income support and carers allowance

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.