A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

spousal maintennce

  • sauri
  • sauri's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
06 Aug 12 #347724 by sauri
Topic started by sauri
hi all. I have got a question. I am earning 1440 and my husband is not working out of his choice, divorce in progress, he holds all our assets ( over £ 500 000) and I have got nothing apart from my salary, not even savings. I am worried that the court will order me to pay him spousal maintenece as he is not working. should I stop working? on top we have got 3 boys and I do not want5 them to stay away from me. In worst case could the court order that he stays in the house with children I have to pay mainecence for children and spousal and get nothing? please help

  • survive
  • survive's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Aug 12 #347755 by survive
Reply from survive
Hi, sorry to hear the situation you are in. Firstly contact and finances are completely different. A jusge will not order that your children live with ex and not you, just because you work. What would be looked at is both your needs. If you do not have a contact order in place, then the judge would look at how much time the children spend with you and your ex. Then a judge would look at your needs. If children stay with both of you, then you will both need adequate housing. If the house is too large for either of you, or too expensive to maintaine, it could be ordered that it be sold, or that a mesher be given where you stay there until the youngest, for example reaches 18. Why is your ex not working? Is it due to health? or claiming no jobs of just idleness? Ajudge would take all of this into account as well as your ability to support your children. Is your ex claiming benefits (if not working)

There are lots of things to consider here. But for sure, your ex would not just awarded custody and the house, just like that.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.