A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Legal aid

  • Allan Boorman
  • Allan Boorman's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Oct 12 #359816 by Allan Boorman
Topic started by Allan Boorman
I have paid child maintenance for the amount agreed at the point of divorce and previously for 3 and a half years. I was made redundant in July this year. I live on benefits. I have no assets or money at all. I paid the maintenence instalment for August out of my last wage packet. I wrote to the court, my ex wife and others explaining my dilemma and that I could not continue the payments. The court failed to respond for weeks until they sent an aknowledgement to the address that I moved out of 18 months ago (although I had informed them of the change and the letter took 3 weeks to reach me). I enclosed with the letters a personal budget sheet revealing that I have no spare cash at all. The following month on the exact date that the maintenance was due to be paid my ex wife applied to the court for an enforcement order for the outstanding amount.
Am I entitled to legal aid in this case?
Or is it that only the legal aid board can make that decision upon application? If the latter is true I do not have sufficient time to apply as the hearing is in 2 weeks. The lack of time was caused once again by the court sending the enforcement notice to the wrong address leading to a three week delay in my receiving the notice.

  • mbird
  • mbird's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 12 #359828 by mbird
Reply from mbird
I believe that if you approach a legal aid solicitor, and he says that you are eligible for funding, then he can ''devolve the power'' to make an application for an emergency certificate that can be faxed or phoned to the LSC on the same day. You need to take with you evidence of Income Support of JSA which I believe is a passporting benefit to legal aid. I am sure all of this is correct, however I am sure if not, there are plently of wikis online that will correct me.
Good luck.

  • Allan Boorman
  • Allan Boorman's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Oct 12 #359863 by Allan Boorman
Reply from Allan Boorman
Thankyou for your advice i appreciate your help

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.