A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

ex telling me i cant take daughter to my partners

  • mrkc
  • mrkc's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Oct 12 #360639 by mrkc
Topic started by mrkc
my ex is telling me i cant take my 6yr old daughter to my partners house,we split up last july 2011,she got with someone new straight away,we are now divorced,and she now lives with her new man in his house,so giving up are home my daughters house,and moving her to a new town and into his house,i got with my new partner this year february 2012,i have my own house and my partner has hers,i have contact with my daughter 3 nights a week,3 of those being over alternative weekends,as stated in divorce papers,i introduced my daughter to my new partner in april and they hit it off straight away as my new partner is very child orientated,as she works in a nursery,and has an older daughter herself,we just used to visit then me and my daughter would go back to mine to sleep,but all the time my ex is trying to dictate and control what i do with my daughter,then after one sunday in june we went for a day out to coastand all had fun,but then on the monday morning i received a text saying my daughter had seen my new partner smoking,which she does but always outside because she has her own daughter and never smokes in house,so my ex says i cant take her round there anymore,with this my new partner got enraged due to the fact my ex has always tried to dictate what i do since weve been together,so they had a row over text,a few choice words were exchanged,and now my ex says my daughter is not allowed near my partner as she thinks shes not suitable person,but my daughter likes my partner and they always have fun when we were together,i went to a solicitor but felt like i never got anywhere,i feel i cant move on with my life and i want my daughter to be part of it,my ex has moved on with hers but shes intent on me not doing so,please what can i do,ive been advised i need to get a court order ,how does this work? any help greatful

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Oct 12 #360648 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Welcome to Wikivorce.

As you have Parental Responsibility, you can make decisions as to what you do and where, and with who, when you have your daughter.

How would your ex feel if you started dictating what she can and can''t do with your daughter? My bet is that it would go down like a lead balloon....

It seems, from what you have written, that the situation has escalated since your partner and your ex had text exchanges - its never a good idea for a third party to get involved as it complicates things and makes the situation even more hostile. It might be an idea for your partner to stay out of any communications with your ex.

I take it that currently arrangements are informal, I would suggest that you offer mediation to her in a letter as a way forward to resolving this, otherwise its a trip to Court to seek a contact or joint residence order.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.