A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

NHS Pension

  • anniemof
  • anniemof's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Mar 12 #318944 by anniemof
Topic started by anniemof
My husband, who is a GP has a considerable NHS pension. Due to looking after our three children i have only contributed 4 part time years into my NHS pension. I am currently employed as a a community staff nurse. Husband''s pension is our biggest asset by far. Lump sum of 80 - 90 thousand pound and annual pension of 40 thousand ( i saw the estimate a few years ago. ) He is almost 59 and will retire soon within the next year or two. Am i better waiting until he retires to start divorce proceedings, as I will know exactly what the pension is and not loose out on transfer value. We have been married 27 years. appreciate any help thanks.

  • WhiteRose
  • WhiteRose's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
20 Mar 12 #319212 by WhiteRose
Reply from WhiteRose

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Mar 12 #319387 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
I don''t think waiting will make any difference really. As he is so close to retiring, the lumop sum is important.It can be treated as part of the cash assets on divorce if necessary.. ie if there is not enough equity to house you both. The remaining pension could be split.

I would suggest that you consider an actuary''s report for a pension of this size ... to find out what percentage split would be needed for you to have equality of incomes on retirement. An NHS pension is so-called gold plated ... so very valuable. I am not sure if you can share within the scheme or not. If you also have an nhs pension it may be able to be transferred to yours.

After a long marriage, the start point for division is 50:50 of the available pot. It can be departed from depending on circumstances - inckuding needs and incomes.

You cannot have a binding financial agreement until you have a Decree Nisi in place.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.