A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Haven't a clue!

  • mrswack
  • mrswack's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Feb 08 #12632 by mrswack
Topic started by mrswack
Hi all!

I'm new here! ...Unfortunately!

My husband walked out on me 5 days ago and has switched his phone off, please bear in mind I am 6 months preg and have a 4 year old child.

I want a divorce but am worried about my entitlement as I will have 2 children to bring up alone and will not be able to work for at least a year.

We are currently in rented as our house was flooded and has still not been repaired, can this get sold as it is? I also have insurance money and profit from a recent house sale in my name only, what happens to this? I also have Premium Bonds in my name that came from his previous ISA's.

He had 100k profit in the previous house when we sold (we had been together 2 years by this time and baby was born, the house was in his name alone).

He has a good pension and an Endowment policy he took out years and years before we met.

He also has a share scheme with work he has been putting in since we have been together that will mature in about 3 years, would I have any entitlement to this? I have also always worked and contributed to this relationship apart from around 18 months when child care and pregnancy have come into the equation.

Where do I start and what would I be entitled to? Please help!

Thank you!

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Feb 08 #12634 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
A divorce and the financial matters relating to it are completely separate but 'linked' procedures

If matters relating to finances have to go before the courts for them to decide, then an awful lot of information has to be provided for them to make a ruling.

The starting point in a marriage of say 8 to 10 years is 50/50 split of all individual assets having a value of £500 or more

When children are involved their needs are uppermost and then come the needs of each spouse, what they have now and what they might need for the future

All incomes are taken into account, and the assets of each spouse no matter whose name they are in, this can and does include pensions, endowments, and anything else that has a liquid value now or in the future

For you to get some idea of your entitlement in law, write down all what you own, all what your spouse owns and each of your future needs for outgoings.

When you are satisfied you have all the relevant information, use the calculator on this site to give you an idea.

It is not black & white, but it should give an indication, provided you have input the information correctly

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.