A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Paying back Legal Aid

  • Camille
  • Camille's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
22 Apr 12 #325824 by Camille
Topic started by Camille
I have a big issue here. My husband and i are classed as separated but still under the same roof. I pay my own way regarding my own shopping, split the bills and sleep in a separate room with our daughter. We have spoke numerous times about maybe trying again but to be honest we ain''t getting nowhere!
The problem i have is I''m stuck with getting a mortgage of my own with our daughter because whatever equity i get, ill have to pay back my Legal aid. I already know i can get a mortgage because i have seen a mortgage advisor but I''ve not gone any further because of this reason.
All the time I''ve stayed in the house its been up and down and to be frank its driving me insane. I''ve also been advised NOT to move out even temporarily as i could be accused of ''deserting'' the family home.
Any advice would be very much appreciated! Many thanks :S:S:S

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Apr 12 #325951 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
What question is it that you are asking? The repayment of your legal fees (under the Statutory Charge) cannot be waived therefore you will have to repay those costs from your settlement.

If you retain the house, it is possible to have the Stat Charge deferred on the property for repayment at a later date. There has to be enough equity in the property though and the Legal Services Commission has to agree to defer.


  • Camille
  • Camille's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Apr 12 #326087 by Camille
Reply from Camille
I thought so, thank you for your help Charles

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.