A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Housing issues

  • TEIN
  • TEIN's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
01 May 12 #327731 by TEIN
Topic started by TEIN
My multiple cheating ex moved out of the FMH on the 18th Apr taking our 2 little ones with her an initially keeping the new address a secret (My children showed me where it was).

I moved out the next day as I could not face living alone in a house tainted by her affairs.

I popped into the house this wk to check on things and find two letters on the door mat. One from the council stating I am now the solely liable person for the council tax and one from the water board stating the same.

She had also cancelled the DDebit to pay the water board and thus this new bill is demanding payment now! Surely this is for water we both used while living there for the previous time and thus she should be equally liable for the pay now demand?

What should I do about this pls?

Also her sol''s letter from mid feb (I know I should have done something earlier but stupid me thought I could still save things) had an offer to buy me out of the property which seemed the best idea so the children could stay in the family home they know and love. It appears I have no choice but to accept this offer as fighting for more would be financially unviable but as it was a few mths ago and she has now moved out the likelihood is that the offer has been withdrawn.

Having spoken to someone on the wiki line they indicated that if it went before a judge they may well view it as the best for the children would be to move back into the FMH as per the original offer rather than a sale of the property even though I did not accept within her fictional time frame, as this would mean both of us being finacially worse off due to selling fee''s and the time it may take to find a buyer and thus not in the best interests of the children? Can anyone shed more light on this as I find it very hard to make notes when discussing things on the phone?

We are not a married couple (13 yrs together, little ones aged 5 & 6) and share the property as joint tenants thus a 50 / 50 split of any equity?

  • Bobbinalong
  • Bobbinalong's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 May 12 #327734 by Bobbinalong
Reply from Bobbinalong
turning into a bit of a mess, she has obviously set on releasing herself from the finances of the house.
She has already sorted council tax.
If she is due to move back it needs sorted asap.
There is a lot of detail missing for anyone with knowledge to give you a decent outcome.
Your both fighting your corner at present and someone needs to maybe be the adult and make some desicions.

  • TEIN
  • TEIN's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
01 May 12 #327738 by TEIN
Reply from TEIN
Thanks for the reply. What sort of detail do you mean pls?

The problem I appear to have, in my eyes, is she keeps making decisions with no attempt at discussion, being proactive, backed by her experienced 3 x divorced lover.

While my heads spinning in a world of emotional turmoil trying to get a grasp on how my life is being turned upside down, trying to fathom how I''ve lost her, worried about losing my children and financial capabilities to look after them when I have them by the woman i loved and trusted.

I just want a fair deal which seems impossible as a bloke and she wont communicate so I have to go through her sol each time.

The only source of info I have is this website and it has been helpful at times but still so frustrating when I can''t afford a sol myself to get sound advice.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.