A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Access to Family Home

  • dominoo
  • dominoo's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 May 12 #329876 by dominoo
Topic started by dominoo
My ex husband''s solicitor has sent me a letter implying that as the property is still in joint names that my ex has right of passage into my home to search for certain items that he still thinks is here (albeit he left the FMH 4 years ago and the Consent Order has been drawn up weeks ago to sort out the ownership into my name) . Can he just turn up on the doorstep and demand entry - I am very worried about this as I do not think this seems right.
How do I stand legally?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 May 12 #329881 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Technically he has rights as an owner and it would be reasonable to arrange for him to access the property at a mutually convenient time to collect his possessions.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 May 12 #329915 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Yes technically he does have rights. But after being away for 4 years, your right to privacy would greatly outweigh his right of access. If you have not done so yet, change the locks.

You can do it 2 ways. The friendly, mature and sensible way is to find his items, and arrange a time for collection. He doesn''t need to come in, you can just hand the items to him on the doorstap. Or drop them round to his place. Or meet in a neutral location such as a supermarket car park to hand them over.

Or you can take the hardline approach and tell him to take a hike. What''s he going to do? After an absence of 4 years, to gain access he would need a court order. I''m guessing the value of the items is less than the costs of obtaining a court order.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.