A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help re mortgage

  • lk1matt
  • lk1matt's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Jun 12 #336245 by lk1matt
Topic started by lk1matt
Hi i hope someone could help a little bit, or point me in the right direction if not.
sorry its long!!!

To summarise:

currently going through a divorce, not really any money in the pot,all monies are really hubbys salary which with 3 boys will be getting 25% of his net income, no need to sell house as no current equity and he is happy to act as a guarantor or however it works when the fixed rate ends in nov, so when boys are at school and im working i will do my best to get him off the mortgage.

The House is in hubbys name only, i have put my name on land registry which was done by the solicitors when we first split up.

I am currently on benefits child tax credits, and income support, when i have the 25% maintenance in november this will be enough to cover the mortgage and a little extra to go towards bills.

we have timed this as the fixed rate ends then and mortgage is achievable with my monies coming in.

I was hoping for hubby to start paying me the mortgage money now and for me to pay that each month, so when it comes to nov i can say well x has been paying me maintenance and i have paid mortgage for the last 5 months and hopefully it will go towards me, also been informed that i will be able to get smi too.

X hubby has phoned Halifax today and asked for a direct debit form so i can pay each month and they have said no!!!! only the person on the mortgage can pay.....is this right? as how can i ever pay and claim smi if not going through my bank!!!! totally lost.

Many thanks in advance lisa x

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Jun 12 #336246 by dukey
Reply from dukey
It really up to the lender and each more or less have their own rules, years ago i did pay a mortgage for a family member and that lender had no problem with it, but that was then and this is now i suppose, you could pay it over the counter with a cheque in your name only to build up some history, the real hurdle is when you come to make the application in your name only, this is when it tends to come unstuck, that said your ex is happy to underwrite the mortgage so all should be well.

  • lk1matt
  • lk1matt's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Jun 12 #336262 by lk1matt
Reply from lk1matt
Hi thanks for your reply, it makes me laugh that the Halifax wont allow it, its not like he can abdicate if i didn''t pay it as he is on the mortgage.

sure if he was out of work they would allow me to pay, just seems very odd.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.