A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What percentage is fair?

  • mustbejoking
  • mustbejoking's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Jun 12 #337918 by mustbejoking
Topic started by mustbejoking
Married 13 years.
Co-habited 2 months before wedding.
Both age 37.
2 children age 5 and 10.
Own our home £270,000 value.
No mortgage.
Hb moved out 4 weeks ago, now staying with his Mum. I stayed at home with kids. He has them at weekends.
We plan to sell house, and split money.
I need 3 bed house (around £160,000)
He needs 2/3 bed flat (around £120,000)
I am self-employed earning £3,000 per anum but no potential to earn more due to my (recent) disablities. I used to earn £27,000 per anum until 3 yrs ago when I became ill with a progressive disease.
He earns at least £22,000 per anum (self-employed,should be able to get a mortgage).
Now we are separated I have applied for council tax benefit. As a lone parent,
I get Child Tax Credit £5,000 per anum
and Working Tax Credit £4,000 per anum. I think these will stop when kids are 18.
I am disabled and get DLA.
We have no endowments, no pensions and no other assets.
What would be reasonable to ask for?
Thank you.

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
20 Jun 12 #337924 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Set aside % for a moment as they don''t really help a great deal.
You both need a similar property each, given that you currently have a low income and I assume limited scope to increase this you will need to have something ideally mortgage free. You need to then work out how much you need to live, remember that you would get CSA payment for 20% of net income which will be for the next 13 years.
You might also need to concider pension for the future, but downsizing may be an option when the time comes


  • mustbejoking
  • mustbejoking's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Jun 12 #337931 by mustbejoking
Reply from mustbejoking
I mentioned percentages because the Separation Agreement form I have seen deals in percentage of proceeds from the sale of the house.

Can you do a separation agreement with set figures, even if you haven''t sold the house, and don''t know exactly what it will sell for?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.