A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Voluntary Repossession

  • redroxy82
  • redroxy82's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Jul 12 #345267 by redroxy82
Topic started by redroxy82
I left the FMH in Nov 11 due to violence and took my 2 children (on advice of the police)
STBX then changed the locks and I''ve been back once since then to collect belongings in Mar 12 (what was left of them!!)
I am now renting privately for myself and the children and get CSA from STBX. He has however now moved back with parents rent free and has not paid mortgage for months, we now owe £5k.
We cannot rent it out as I will lose housing benefit which I rely on.
He now wants to do a voluntary repossession as house has been on the market since Jan 12 and no sign of a buyer (agent has told me he didn''t leave it in the best condition but I cannot get in there and he says it''s fine!!)
I really don''t know what to do??

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Jul 12 #345274 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
As a personal view, you can sell most houses - if the price is right.
If the house is repossessed, you both will incur fees/penalties/legal costs/ administrative charges, and the house will be sold by the lender and all they will be concerned about is getting their money back.

Selling at what may seem to be an undervalue may be preferable to allow repossession and its possible consequences.

I''d speak to your agent.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.