A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

can someone elses house count as an asset?

  • what a shock
  • what a shock's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
31 Jul 12 #346453 by what a shock
Topic started by what a shock
I own a percentage of my mind home along with my brothers. I cannot force get to sell, nor would I be able to upon her death if Tue others do not agree. Will this count towards the pot? Or will it be classed as an unreliable asset?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Jul 12 #346462 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I have the same situation, my two brothers and I jointly own a rented property in equal shares.

You still have a share in it and that is an assets but it is obviously harder to realise it, because your brothers'' shares cannot be touched. But your share is still part of the pot.

There may be other ways of dealing with it, for example, a Court might take into account your share of any retal income, or you could be allowed to keep it in return for a smaller share of other assets.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.