A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can I claim agianst my stbx'' rental properties?

  • thisisthelasttime
  • thisisthelasttime's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
31 Aug 12 #353002 by thisisthelasttime
Topic started by thisisthelasttime
I own my home and it became the marital home, my stbx moved in with me and rented out her home. She also had two rental properties for which an income is received.
Please can someone advise me as to whether i could claim against her rental property income. STBX is claiming against my home. I paid 98% of bills and housekeeping. I am not financially secure now as I am having to pay her a sum of money to ensure a Clean Break. This whole situation is sticking in my throat as she is financially secure with income from employment and rentals. I struggle to keep my head above water and have had to increase my mortgage to pay the sum of money to her for clean break.She has left me iin a worse place than before we met. Lived together for 2yrs prior to civil partnership which lasted 18 months!
Any advice please?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Aug 12 #353071 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Well, I''m puzzled. In the first place, both the marital home and the rented properties are marital assets and are available for re-allocation between the spouses. If there is more than one home then the usual outcome is the obvious one, each of the spouses gets one each.

What do you mean when you say you are having to pay her a sum of money to get a clean break ?

You talk about it as though you, the weaker party financially, or paying the stronger party, your wife. That to me, seems odd, it''s the stronger party financially who ends up paying the other.

I can''t comment at all because you have supplied no details as to your finances.


  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Aug 12 #353101 by Action
Reply from Action
LMM - wouldn''t this be classed as a short marriage/civil partnership, where each takes out what they brought in?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.