A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • anna200
  • anna200's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
28 Sep 12 #358434 by anna200
Reply from anna200
was there any agreement in the order around contents of the FMH?its not worth going back to the solicitor. if not i''d just write to him yourself politely asking if he intends to move the goods on sale of the house and point out why you think this may deter buyers .... ....it is still his property too and he has a right to store his stuff there so i think persuasion is the best way forward. but it would be good for him to claim ownership so he has to move it in the future .i had a similar situation and when the sale was imminent i shared my concerns about the junk he''d left with the buyer and they insisted this was removed as condition of purchase or he would be charged for clearance....that did the trick. ... is there anything worth selling , ?

any house sale is frustrating more so when you want to move on so I do sympathise but if he hasn''t got any where for his treasure I can see why he won''t move it until he has to. also if he is anything like my obtuse ex he will be glad if he knows this irritates you so perhaps try a bit of reverse psychology, just get it out there that you are happy that the house isn''t selling and you''re going to drag it out for a few years ... he may be more inclined to get involved in the sale and maintenance to get it in tip top condition for sale ...i had similar size garden and I mentioned in passing to one of his friends that this was putting buyers off But it didn''t bother me ..it did! ).and he passed it on so it got sorted,

don''t take you property off the market or you will breach your order

Good luck

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Sep 12 #358453 by Action
Reply from Action
Hi Anna200

The agreement is that he keeps his tools and collections etc. and that what we each don''t want is sold and the proceeds split. So, basically it is his stuff.

I''m grateful for your advice re not taking the house off the market and truly inspired by your other idea - thank you so much! I''m so excited that I feel I can almost convince myself that I can live here indefinitely while he pays through the nose for rented. I may have to get in a few lodgers once my son and family have moved out though, LOL

I will start dripping information to his Mother. We get on very well and she''s not that impressed with him but he is her son. I''m sure it will be fed back that I''m now resigned to staying here and will be changing focus to look after myself and the business and stuff the house and garden. I''m not going to put my life on hold any longer. I''m going to start living, starting today!

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Sep 12 #358455 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
Good for you Action, great to see how this now has a positive swing!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.