A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Pension v payment of capital sum

  • diynotforme
  • diynotforme's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Jan 13 #375235 by diynotforme
Topic started by diynotforme
Advice needed:
With all said and done i have no issue with the fact that I am due a balancing payment sum. I have been offered a discount of 20% if I pay capital as my ex solicitor is not interested in pension rights.

Do I have to concede and give my ex capital from proceeds of sale from our house rather than part of my future pension. I am concerned that if I give her capital I will leave myself "very short" in terms of putting down capital for a new mortgage. whereas my wife has already bought a new house (with family money) i am in rented and hope to buy a house for my self and for my children. I have received a letter from my ex lawyer stating that if I don''t agree to paying capital as soon as the house is sold they will consider a divorce action against me for payment of a capital sum. Sounds like bully tactics to me but thought I''d check.
Secondly - if I transfer pension rights would my wife have to wait till 65 to claim the pension? This could explain her solicitors insistence on capital.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.