A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Notice: This page is part of an old, outdated guide to divorce - it is only applicable to readers whose divorce began before 6th April 2022. Anyone whose divorce started after this date (or whose divorce has not yet started) should instead read our updated guide to the new no-fault divorce process.

Step 2) Submit your Divorce Application to court

 previous button    next step button

Once you have decided to proceed with divorce, and you have decided which reason ( or 'grounds') to use for the divorce then you can start to complete the Divorce Application form (also called the Divorce Petition). If you have dependent children then you need to include their details in the D8 - please note that the Statement of Arrangements (D8A) is no longer used.

Applicant sends the divorce application documents to the court.
send-letter.jpg If you are posting the documents we recommend paying the extra for recorded delivery.
  Remember to include all these documents:
write-form.jpg Form
The application for divorce (also known as the Divorce Petition).
certificate.jpg Marriage
If your marriage certificate is not written in English then you must also include a professional translation.
money.jpg Court
A cheque for £593 made out to HM Courts & Tribunals Service.


You first need to complete Form D8 (the divorce petition) and, if you have children you should also complete Part 7 in the D8 - Details of the Children.
When you have completed the form make two photocopies so that you have 3 copies in total.
Keep one copy for yourself and send two copies to court, one is for the court and the other is for the court to send to your spouse.

Send the completed form to your regional Divorce Centre together with the marriage certificate and a cheque for the court fee.
The court fee for processing the divorce is £593. If you intend to use a cheque for payments to court they should be made out to HM Courts & Tribunals Service..

If your divorce is based on unreasonable behaviour then you might want to let your spouse see a copy of the divorce petition before you send it to court to give them a chance to review the unreasonable behaviour statements and make changes to them if there are any sentences that they find particularly upsetting.


The spouse who initiates the divorce application becomes known as the petitioner.
The other spouse will be referred to in the legal documents as the respondent.


write-form.jpg Form
The application for divorce (also known as the Divorce Petition).


Leaflets and Guidance Notes

leaflet.jpg Form
I want to get a divorce leaflet.
leaflet.jpg Form D8
Guidance Notes
Guidance notes for completion of the Divorce Petition.

 previous button    next step button

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.