A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

This guide provides an overview of the three main areas to be addressed when you get a divorce.

Obtaining a
divorce decree


Reaching a fair
financial settlement


Child contact
and residency

bigstockphoto-divorce-decree.jpg   bigstockphoto-solicitor-managed-consent-order-160.jpg   bigstockphoto-child-contact.jpg






When you got married you signed a marriage certificate. To get divorced you need to sign some paperwork to obtain a divorce certificate (known as a Decree Absolute).   You need to reach an agreement on how your assets will be divided, how much maintenance (if any) will be paid, and for how long. This agreement is called a Consent Order.   If you have children then you need to agree which parent your children will live with, where they will go to school and agree contact arrangements for the non-resident parent.


How do I get started?


How do I get started?


How do I get started?

You first decide which of you will start the divorce process - this person is known as the petitioner.

You also need to decide on the 'grounds' for the divorce (which can be adultery, separation or unreasonable behaviour).

If you both agree to go ahead with the divorce and you agree on what 'grounds' to use then you can save time and money because your divorce is uncontested

If you cannot agree then your divorce is contested.


The ideal situation is that you are able to agree on the finances without the intervention of solicitors or the courts.

If you cannot agree then your options are to:
a) use a mediation service, which would typically cost around £500
b) use solicitors to negotiate a deal, this will often end up in court and cost many thousands of pounds

Make a real effort to reach agreement yourselves to avoid spending a fortune on expensive solicitors.


Couples getting divorced are often understandably angry with each other.

Fortunately most parents manage to put aside their differences and put the children's interest first when it comes to child residency and contact arrangements.

If you can manage to agree on the practical arrangements between yourselves then there is no need to involve solicitors or the courts.


What do I do next?


What do I do next?


What do I do next?

If your divorce is uncontested:

Obtaining an uncontested divorce involves completing some legal paperwork and organising the processing of the divorce through a court.

It is possible to DIY your divorce but the legal forms and process is somewhat difficult/confusing. It's a bit like doing your own home plumbing or electric wiring, it is certainly possible - but there is no-one to blame if you mess it up. Also you don't save that much by DIY'ing the divorce as you still have to pay the full court fees.

You can get a managed divorce service from various online websites, from your local high street solicitor, or from Wikivorce.

Related services:
Lawyer Managed Divorce service just £179


If you can reach agreement:

Once you have reached a verbal agreement then the next step is to choose a lawyer to draft and submit a Consent Order for court approval. This not a job you should consider doing yourself.

A key benefit of a Consent Order is that you and your spouse decide what the agreement will be (rather than a judge) and the lawyer works on your instructions to draft a legally binding order.

Once drafted the Consent Order must be signed before it is sent to the court where a judge will review and approve it.

This service is available from Wikivorce at low cost. 

Related services:
Lawyer Managed Consent Order from only £159


Agree contact arrangements:

There is no need to buy any service or complete any forms whatsoever. You simply need to talk to each other and reach a verbal agreement.

There is no right or wrong amount of contact.  Some parents have shared residency and have the children for equal numbers of nights.

If one parent works full-time and the other doesn't it is common for the non-resident parent to have the children one night midweek and every other weekend.

But basically it is whatever works for you as a family. try to compromise and put the children's interest first.

Related services:
Child Issues consultation £199

Our best value and most popular service is the combined
Lawyer Managed Divorce and Consent Order from £299

> Click to Compare Lawyer Prices for Divorce <


If your divorce is contested:

If your spouse is not in agreement to go through with a divorce then it is still possible to get divorced but it takes longer and costs more.

We may still be able to help, but not at our standard fixed prices.

Call us on the advice line number below to discuss the best way forward.


If you aren't able to reach agreement on finances:

We can help you to decide on the best way forward, whether that is mediation,  using a lawyer or representing yourself.

Feel free to call us now the number below to speak to one of our expert advisors.

If we feel you could benefit from free legal advice then we can arrange a FREE telephone appointment with a solicitor.


If you are fighting over child residency or contact:

For example: maybe you have no contact at all,  or  you are unhappy with the contact arrangements, or you or your spouse is planning on moving the children overseas.

In these situations you really need legal advice.

You can call us on the number below to arrange a FREE telephone meeting with a family solicitor.

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.