A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Form A

Written by

A Guide on Form A, what it is used for and how to complete it.

Form A – Notice of intention to proceed with an application for a financial order.

Form A is a type of form used in the divorce process which is used to apply to court for a financial settlement relating to divorce.
Form A is mainly used in two types of situations –
  • Agreement reached – When a couple have agreed to a financial settlement together then form A is sent to court along with a consent order and a D81 statement of information to request that the court review and approve the consent order.

  • Unable to agree - When a couple are unable to agree on a settlement then either you or your ex can decide to take the matter to court. This can be done by filing out and submitting form A which will lead to a series of court hearings to decide the case. 
Before you apply to court, you should try to come to an agreement between yourselves and applying to court should be a last resort. You can do this by discussing with your ex and trying to reach an agreement together, attending mediation or by using solicitors. Obviously if you are unable to communicate with your ex (e.g., if there has been a history of domestic abuse in the relationship) applying to court may be easier and less stressful.
If you are able to reach an agreement then you will need to send off a completed form A, D81 statement of information and a consent order to court so the court can review and approve the order.
Consent order – A consent order is a type of order that sets out the financial agreements you make with your ex during a divorce, whatever is set out in your consent order is legally binding (if the court approves it).
D81 statement of information – A D81 is a form that will provide the court with information on your ex’s and your own financial situation. 
If you are unable to come to an agreement either between yourselves or through mediation, then your next step would be applying to court.
Before you can apply to court however, you will need to attend a MIAM (mediation information and assessment meeting). There will be situations where you may be exempt from attending a MIAM such as –
  • There has been domestic abuse in the relationship
  • There are child safety concerns based on your ex’s behavior
  • You urgently need an order
  • You have previously attended a MIAM
If you attend a MIAM, you will need the mediator to fill out and sign part of form A to say you have attended. This is a legal requirement. You do not need to attend a MIAM if you have come to an agreement with your ex and are asking the court to review and approve the consent order. There is more information about mediation and MIAM’s on the last few pages of form A.

Click to download Form A


Form A

Notice of [intention to proceed with] a financial application

Document Type: PDF
Published by: HM Courts & Tribunals Service 
Last Updated: 21 July 2022


How to complete form A

Remember to read each question carefully, answer truthfully and take your time when filling out the

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.