A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Form D8B: Answer a divorce, dissolution, (judicial) separation or nullity petition or application

Click the button to download the document.
Published By
Published Date
June 01, 2017
Document Format

Use this form if you wish to defend a divorce, dissolution, (judicial) separation or nullity petition or application issued by your spouse or civil partner.

In the case of a marriage, the parties are called Petitioner and Respondent and the document starting the court proceedings is called a petition. In the case of a civil partnership, the parties are called Applicant and Respondent and the document starting the court proceedings is called an application. • This form should be completed if you wish to defend the divorce / dissolution  / (judicial) separation or nullity  petition/application issued by your spouse/civil partner. This could be because you do not agree that your marriage/civil partnership has irretrievably broken down, or you wish to defend allegations made against you by your spouse/civil partner. • There is a court fee for making this application. You can find the current fee in leaflet EX50 Civil and Family Court Fees which can be downloaded from: https://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk If you cannot afford to pay a court fee, you may be eligible for a fee remission or a reduced fee. The form EX160 Apply for help with fees and the EX160A guidance booklet gives you further information - https://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees • If you wish to apply for a divorce/dissolution/(judicial) separation or an annulment against your spouse or civil partner you should complete your own petition/application. This will be issued within the existing case, and the judge will determine the outcome. There are guidance notes within the D8 form to help you complete your petition/application for a divorce/dissolution/(judicial) separation or nullity. If you require any further assistance with this form please seek legal advice. The court fee for this application is separate and in addition to the fee for filing this answer. • If there is not enough room on the form, you may continue on a separate sheet. Please put the Petitioner’s/ Applicant’s name, your name and the number of the Part to which the information relates, at the head of any continuation sheet. • If completing this form by hand, please use BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS and tick the boxes that apply. Notes to Co-Respondents • If you have been named in a divorce/judicial separation petition as a Co-Respondent and you wish to defend the petition, you should complete Parts 3-8 of this form. • You should amend any references to ‘my spouse/civil partner’ to ‘the Petitioner’ and references to ‘Respondent’ to ‘Co-Respondent’.

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.
To write a review please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.