The proof is in the pudding with this delightful Old favorite Treacle tart.
50g (2oz) Fresh White Breadcrumbs
140g (5oz) Rich Short Crust Pastry
6 tbsp Golden Syrup
1 Lemon (zest only)
1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C; 400°F: Gas 6.
- Put the syrup into a saucepan with the breadcrumbs, lemon rind and juice and heat gently until just melted.
Allow the mixture to cool.
- Roll out the dough and line an 8 inch baking dish.
- Pour in the syrup mixture.
- Roll out the dough trimmings and cut into long, narrow strips.
- Arrange them in a lattice pattern over the filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 min or until the pastry is slightly browned.
- Serve hot or cold.