Emily-Jo's Recipes For one...
A brace of pheasants prepared and quartered
2 large glasses of red wine or 1 large glass of port
2 tablespoons of red currant jelly
2 pints of water
1 chicken stock cube
1 bouquet garni
2 bay leaves
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 large onions chopped finely
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Use a large oven proof dish that can be covered with some foil or a large casserole dish (a roasting tin is perfect)
- Place prepared and quartered pheasants into dish
- Into a large jug add the wine, water, red currant jelly, stock cube, garlic, onions and seasoning and stir well then pour over the pheasant and leave to marinade over night in the fridge.
- When you are ready to cook…add in the bay leaves, bouquet garni and stir around to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Cover and place in the oven at Gas mark 2, 300 Fahrenheit, or 150 Celsius for about 3 hours until tender.
- Serve with leek creamy mash potatoes, small roast potatoes, roasted baby carrots and red cabbage.
- For the leek creamy mash just cook the leeks with the potatoes and mash together when cooked with some butter, little cream or milk and seasoning.
- For the red cabbage
- Use a medium red cabbage, slice and shred as thinly as possible. In a large heavy pan add about 40g butter. When the butter has melted, throw in the cabbage add some seasoning and cook for about 10 minutes stirring now and again and adding a tiny amount of water here and now to keep it moist.
- Now add 100ml of white wine vinegar, stir and keep cooking for a few minutes until the vinegar has mostly evaporated then add 25g of brown sugar and keep stirring for about 5 minutes. Keep warm or serve straight away.