A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

How Much Maintenance?

How much maintenance should be paid under a Child Support Agency (CSA) arrangement is worked out according to a formula based on income after tax of the parent without the main day-to-day care, the number of children they have and the number of nights that the children stay with them each week.

As a very rough guide, you can expect to pay/receive:

  • 15 per cent of net income of the parent without main day-to-day care's for one child
  • 20 per cent for two children.
  • 25 per cent for three or more children.

The income of the parent who will receive the maintenance and that of either parent’s new partner is not taken into account.

A reduced rate is payable if the parent without main day-to-day care earns between £100 and £200 a week. The usual minimum payment is £5 a week. This isn't payable if the child stays with that parent for more than 52 nights each year, if the parent is under 18 or is in prison or getting some types of state benefits.

If the parent without main day to day care has income after tax of more than £104,000 per year, an application can be made to the court for extra maintenance above the CSA arrangement.

There are some other important circumstances when the CSA cannot make an arrangement and the court will need to do so. See When to use a court.

The formula that is used is applied fairly strictly so there is only very limited scope to change a calculation once it has been made by the CSA. Try the calculator on the Child Maintenance Options website to get a good idea of how much maintenance is likely to be payable.

If you are paying child maintenance in accordance with the CSA calculation and your circumstances change, for example, you lose your job or have children to support in a new relationship, you can go back to the CSA and ask for a review of the amount you pay.

Read how others coped:
'Seb starts secondary school this year. School uniform, bus pass, lunch money, school trips - it doesn't get any cheaper as your children get older.
So I've been checking out on the Child Support Agency (CSA) website how much maintenance we can expect my soon-to-be-ex to pay. It depends on his income, how much time Seb spends with him and the number of children his new partner has. He runs his own business, so I think the CSA use his tax and VAT returns to work out what income he has.'

  • What are the financial needs of the children (each parent may have to account for accommodation, food, schooling, travel, clothing, savings, presents, phone bills, holidays and entertainment)?
  • How much should any maintenance be?
  • Decide whether to make a private agreement for child maintenance or to use the CSA.
  • Set up a system for paying maintenance – e.g. a standing order.
  • Consider life insurance to cover maintenance you receive.
  • Review maintenance whenever circumstances change.
  • Check whether you are entitled to tax credits and any State benefits.
  • Are there any other cash costs not covered by day-to-day maintenance that will need to be met (e.g. school fees)?  Who will pay these?
  • If the person who previously got child benefit no longer has main day-to-day care of the children, contact the Child Benefit Office.

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.