A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

If Your Circumstances Change

If your circumstances change – for example, you lose your job, your income changes, your child develops a disability or you have a new baby – you may not be able to meet your child's needs on the maintenance you receive or you may no longer be able to afford to pay the agreed amount.

If you have a private agreement, try to talk to your former partner. Explain how your circumstances have changed and try to negotiate the higher amount you need to receive or a lower payment that you can afford to pay. If you cannot agree, you could switch to a Child Support Agency (CSA) arrangement. You could contact the Child Maintenance Options service to help you decide on the best way forward for your situation - see Useful links. Alternatively, consider getting help from a mediator or family lawyer - see Professional help and advice.

If you are paying maintenance

If you are paying maintenance under a CSA arrangement and your circumstances change, you can ask the CSA to review and alter the amount you pay.

Your payments will normally stop if the child you are supporting reaches age 16 or 19 and finishes full-time education.

If you are receiving maintenance

If the parent paying child maintenance dies, the payments will stop. To protect yourself from this event, consider taking out life insurance on the other parent's life - see Insuring child maintenance. If you are still receiving maintenance then you may be able to claim against your former partner's estate, but this is a complex area and you may need to seek advice from a solicitor - see Useful links.

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.