A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Maintenance For Children

Child maintenance is regular financial support that helps to meet your child’s day-to-day living costs. It is usually paid until a child turns 16, or stops full-time school or university education, whichever finishes later.

You may prefer to make a private agreement with your partner about the level of child maintenance that one will pay to the other.

If you cannot agree, either you or your partner can apply to the Child Support Agency (CSA), a government agency, to set up an arrangement for you. If a private agreement you have previously agreed is not working, or payments are not being made, you can apply to the CSA to make an arrangement for you.

Some parents also agree that one of them will continue to meet specific expenses, such as school fees or paying money into savings accounts set up for the children. If there is a dispute, a court can make orders to provide for things like school fees, a computer or a holiday.

The Child Maintenance Options service has lots of information on the options available in relation to child maintenance - see Useful links.

If you live in Northern Ireland, you can contact the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Division (CMED) for an impartial information and support service – see Useful links.

In some circumstances, you may be eligible for spousal maintenance, see Maintenance for more information.

Private agreement
Private agreement

Some parents reach an agreement about the level of support that is going to be paid by each of them to help with their child's expenses.

Find out more about Private agreement
Agreements through the Child Support Agency (CSA)
Agreements through the Child Support Agency (CSA)

The CSA can help you with the process of maintenance for your children following divorce or separation.

Find out more about Agreements through the Child Support Agency (CSA) 
When to use a court
When to use a court

There are a number of situations where you may use a court to make a decision.

Find out more about When to use a court
Insuring child maintenance
Insuring child maintenance

To make sure that your children would be financially secure if you or the other parent were to die you may wish to consider life insurance.

Find out more about Insuring child maintenance

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.