A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Married Couples And Civil Partners

You and your spouse or civil partner can agree where you will both live while your divorce or dissolution is being sorted out and afterwards. There is no need to involve the courts, although you may find it helpful to base your discussions on what a court might decide is fair. If you do reach a private agreement, make sure you record all the terms in writing, each sign and date it and keep a copy in a safe place. Remember that these agreements could be challenged later in court.

Courts have a wide range of options in deciding how to deal with what was the family home. Decisions about the home will be made in the context of the whole financial settlement (see The steps involved and Splitting what you have).

There may be some legal formalities to be completed depending on whether the home was owned or rented. The next sections deal with what you will need to do if the home is owned and if it is rented.

Budgeting, bills & benefits
If the home is owned

Deciding how to deal with what was the family home can be
very difficult, both financially and emotionally.

Find out more about If the home is owned
If you rent your current home
How to deal with a mortgage

If there is a mortgage on the home, you will need to take this into account when deciding what to do.

Find out more about How to deal with a mortgage
If you rent your current home
If you rent your current home

How easily you can give up a rented home depends on a
number of factors.

Find out more about If you rent your current home
Tax issues
Tax issues

It may be possible that you are affected by Capital Gains Tax (CGT) when dealing with the home.

Find out more about Tax issues
Bank accounts
Moving out/Getting a new home

Whatever your circumstances, deciding to move out is a big decision and should be given careful consideration.

Find out more about Moving out/Getting a new home
Bank accounts
Violence and domestic abuse

If you feel you have to move out because of violence in your relationship, you should speak to a solicitor about the legal protection available to you.

Find out more about Violence and domestic abuse

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.