A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Changes In Income

If you were not married or in a civil partnership, then if there is a change in the income of either you or your former partner, you would not be legally entitled to make claims for maintenance against each other.  However, you may be able to increase (or reduce) any maintenance payable for the benefit of any children either through the Child Support Agency or through the court (see If you have children).

If you were married or in a civil partnership, and you are experiencing difficulties managing on the amount of income you have or if the income of the person who pays maintenance has increased significantly, then it may be possible to have the maintenance paid to you and/or the children increased. In the same way, if you pay maintenance to your former spouse or civil partner and your income position worsens, you can ask for the level of the payments to be reduced. If you cannot reach an agreement directly, then an application to the court to increase or reduce the payments will need to be made. You should speak to a solicitor to see what your options are.

If the capital position of the former spouse or civil partner who is paying maintenance improves so that there is enough cash to do so, it may be possible for maintenance to be “capitalised”. This means that the person who receives maintenance would get a lump sum to provide them with an income instead of ongoing maintenance payments.

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.