Make sure you are claiming all the benefits you are eligible for.
You may be able entitled to receive the following:
- Tax credits. You may be able to claim even if you are in work. To see whether you're eligible - see tax credits questionnaire on HMRC website.
- Child benefit. If any children live with you for the majority of their time then you should receive child benefit payments. See If you have children: State Entitlements.
- Help with rent and council tax payments. If your income is low you may be able to get financial help - contact your local council.
- Income support. If your income is low and you cannot work - for example, because you are caring for young children - you may qualify for this benefit. Payments may include help with paying mortgage interest. Contact Jobcentre Plus - see Useful links.
- Jobseeker's Allowance. You may qualify for regular income payments if you are not in work. This may include help with mortgage interest payments. Contact Jobcentre Plus – see Useful links.
For more information about benefits and financial support see the Directgov website www.direct.gov.uk, which also includes an online tool to help you to work out how much and what help you may be eligible for - see Useful links.