A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info


If you and your spouse or civil partner are in partnership together, you may not want to work together after divorce or dissolution. Think about how this will impact on the business and others affected by it, such as employees and suppliers. If there are other partners involved, you may be able to keep the partnership going after your spouse or civil partner leaves. Think how much it will cost you to buy out your partner's share. If you have signed a partnership agreement, the procedure for partners leaving will be contained in that agreement.

If you work in a partnership and your spouse or civil partner is not involved, the court is likely to treat this as your source of income just like any other job. It may also decide that you would be able to draw on resources through the business to fund the financial settlement. Check whether your partnership agreement sets out rules about how much you can draw from the business.

Remember that the court can only make orders against you or your spouse or civil partner. Strictly speaking, it cannot order your business partners to lend you money or dissolve your partnership. However, the court could put pressure on them to agree to this, called "judicial encouragement".

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or