A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

As Your Children Get Older

The cost of bringing up children increases as they get older. Try talking to your child's other parent to see whether you can agree an increase in the level of maintenance that is being paid. If you cannot agree and the level of maintenance being paid has been set according to a CSA agreement (see If you have children), then you should speak to a solicitor to see whether it would be possible for you to ask the court to increase the amount being provided. There are only limited circumstances where this would be possible (see If you have children - when to use a court).

You will need to plan financially for the time when any maintenance you receive for the children will end. For example you should plan ways in which you can attempt to maximise your income (see Managing money – maximising your income).

It is also possible for children to make a claim personally against a parent, for example to contribute to University fees or expenses.

Read how others coped:
'After we became married, I formally adopted Glen's daughter, Bronwyn, so legally we are both her parents.
That doesn't change, if we divorce. I'll still be her parent. I'll pay towards her upkeep and I really want to carry on being part of her life. I'm sure that is best for Bronwyn - it's hard enough being a teenager without losing a parent. I'm hoping we can all go to a mediator together to talk through how to make it work.'

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.