A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Changes In Capital

If you were not married or in a civil partnership then a change in your capital position or that of your partner is unlikely to give rise to any financial claims between you, although it may be possible for you to make further claims on behalf of any children (see if you have children.)

If you were married or in a civil partnership, and either your capital position worsens or you believe your former spouse or civil partner's capital position has significantly improved, then you should check the terms of the agreement or court order made on divorce or dissolution to see whether you can still make claims for capital against your former spouse or civil partner or whether your claims for capital were brought to an end (called a “clean break”) see The financial settlement. If they have not been dismissed it may be possible for you to make a claim. However, the courts are very reluctant to open up agreements. If the change in capital affects the very basis on which the agreement was made then you may be able to take action. You should speak to a solicitor if this is the case to see what your options are.

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
To write a comment please register or

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.