A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info


  • brianm
  • brianm's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 Aug 11 #285029 by brianm
Topic started by brianm
Hello everyone this is my first post.I am going to ask a question that has probably been asked a thousand times.
I am going through a separation with my wife and we have been discussing what financial support i should provide,we are at opposite end of the scale was just wondering is there any specific guidelines to the amount to be paid and for how long.My wife is expecting over 50% of my salary to support herself and the marital home,I have moved out.She does not work at present.She says she want this amount for 5 years.I feel this is far too much and too long and want to come to an acceptable compromise.We have no dependant children and the marital home is rented.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Aug 11 #285036 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Its difficult to comment without knowing the specific details - the duration of the marriage, ages, how long since your wife last worked, her realistic earning potential, how any matrimonial assets are to be split and respective incomes. 50% is perhaps rather too much and 5 years is usually the maximum period for aliment but it depends on the economic disadvantage your wife has from the relationship.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11