MensLine Australia is a dedicated service for men with relationship and family concerns.
When you feel like it's all getting too much, help is as close as the phone.
- All men, all relationships
- Counselling, information and referral
- Staffed by trained professionals
- Cost of a local call (excl.mobiles)
Talk to someone who understands
Mensline Australia is the national telephone support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. The service is available from anywhere in the Australia for the cost of a local call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service is staffed by paid professional counsellors, experienced in men’s issues. It provides:
- A safe and private place to talk about concerns
- Confidential, anonymous and non-judgemental support
- Coaching and practical strategies for managing personal relationship concerns
- Relevant information and linkage to other appropriate services and programs as required
Mensline Australia is managed by Crisis Support Services, a not-for-profit community based organisation with over 45 years experience in telephone counselling services.
This unique, dedicated service for men is an initiative of the Commonwealth Department of Family, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs. It was launched in September 2001.
Who are we here for?
Mensline Australia is for all men, all relationships. In particular it is for
- Men who want to better manage a primary relationship difficulty and enhance an existing relationship with their wives, partners, children, work colleagues or the person next door
- Men who have concerns about being a dad and want to improve their parenting skills
- Men who are dealing with a separation or family breakdown and are at a loss as to how to manage this critical time appropriately
- Family members who are worried about a male family member, partner or friend.
How does Mensline Australia help men?
Mensline Australia offers a ‘male-friendly’ counselling environment
The benefits of telephone counselling are particularly attractive to men, who often find it tough to ask for help and can find face-to-face discussions about difficult issues confronting and even shameful. Unlike face-to-face counselling, telephone counselling provides:
- visual privacy
- a high level of control by the caller over the situation
- an immediate response
- anonymity, enabling greater honesty in the caller
- a ‘quicker’ counselling process
Mensline Australia offers a private and ‘safe’ environment for guys to talk about their problems. Over the phone, callers are anonymous and can retain more control over what happens as they can terminate the call at any time.
Mensline Australia provides relevant information and referral to men’s services
Although the process of separation is traumatic for all concerned, it can be particularly difficult for men whose coping strategies are often limited. Mensline Australia’s counsellors have ready access to relevant information and referral to men’s services at any time and from anywhere in the country.
Mensline Australia offers a counselling style preferred by men
When faced with a problem, men are often more focussed on outcomes and practical solutions than their emotions and internal world. Mensline Australia counsellors recognise this preference and offer a down-to-earth, practical approach to counselling, whilst also encouraging men to deal with important emotional issues in an effective way.